Days of Wine and Greek Oregano

Today was probably the most perfect day we’ve had all summer.

Woke up at 7:30am and lay there thinking about our morning walk  we’d be taking shortly,  and finally drug myself out of bed at 8:24 to begin the routine: get dressed, wet and pick out hair, put the coffee pot on and then downstairs to grab a plastic bag and paper towel, feed Miss Pepper because she won’t shut up unless her food bowl is adequately filled. Put shoes on, go back upstairs to retrieve cell phone, (because you never know, I could fall and break a leg and would have to send Igor back to get help, and he would probably stop to play with every dog in the neighborhood on his way back to get help. Or worse, he’d go home and con dad into a Biscotti and not bother to tell him where I might be laying in a heap….)

Phone in pocket, I throw on my flannel, mainly to hide the bag which will be hanging from my belt loop. I can also flail it about to fend off the pesky deer flies we usually encounter along our journey.

On the road by 9am, we head up the hill, where the sun has yet to crest over the trees-it’s  a cool walk and we don’t work up a sweat, even on the uphill side. Coming back, we can pick up the pace on the downhill, and the coffee pot is really sounding like a good idea when we get back!

There are a few new people in the neighborhood, and we always get a smile from the ones who haven’t met Igor yet. Most recognize his breed, and only yesterday, I had one person ask what breed is he? To which I replied, “he’s a Standard Poodle, and not the French kind-he’s GERMAN!” They have to repeat his name a few times, while chuckling. “Igor…EEeeeeeee-Gor!” hehehee!

I received a pail full of Greek Oregano from the neighbors next door-they were cleaning around their beds, and asked if I’d like to have some for our gardens, which I gladly said YES to. So this afternoon, after I got all our orders packed and my work caught up, I headed outside with a hearty TGIF!!

I dug in and began cleaning out a bunch of  Purple Coneflowers from around my tomato and pepper planters, so they could get more sunlight. The resulting pile of flowers was so beautiful, I gathered them up and put them in a pile in the next-door neighbors’ yard, where they would surely find them before going in for the day. Sure enough, after I went in I got a lovely email from her, exclaiming how she loved the flowers almost more than chocolate, and they brightened her day!

DH made me a new hair toy today! He’s got a bunch of walnut scraps his dad brought over, and we’ve been getting requests for double prong shawl pins, so he’s been working on a few ideas. He handed me the prototype, and I was instantly in love with the primitive design and color~ the mineral oil really brought the wood alive~

I like things simple, no foo-foo for me-me ~

Walnut Hair Fork

Walnut Hair Fork

I think we’re going to Stan’s Lumber tomorrow to get a new mailbox post, YIPPY SKIPPY! Owait, I better hold off on the Yippy until we actually HAVE the post-then I can get real excited when we are closer to having our mailbox back up and repaired 🙂

I read a news article from back home, in the SacBee today, which made YAHOO news:

Sacramentan buys old vinyl 45s, finds out they were his mom’s

What were the chances of that happening???

At the end of a beautiful day, I am thinking I will sleep good tonight, for a change. And be up early tomorrow to take DD to work at 9am. Our morning walk will happen when we return, if it’s  not raining…




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: